Saturday, February 11, 2012

Haiti

I know it's been a while since I've blogged! I need to update my browser, but haven't had a chance to yet plus my computer wasn't cooperating. Definitley on my to do list when I get a chance.

Right now, I'm in Haiti!! Yes, I know I'm the world traveler lately. God is so good! I'm a part of a team of La. Baptists who are looking at establishing a partnership with a pastor to build a medical clinic, orphanage and a church. I've only been here since Thursday but already have been overwhelmed by what I've seen and learned.

Here's a few things I've learned/seen:
  • It can cost between $6-$10 a day to feed an orphan. I easily spend that on one meal!
  • Water is a precious valuable resource. Clean water- even better. I learned this truth as I was without water for the past two days and didn't get a shower until today. And whten I saw a man gather water with a bucket from a muddy pothole-full of mud and rainwater.
  • The power of touch is amazing. Hugs are the universal language for kids.
  • Samiritan's Purse is making a huge impact on Haiti- I saw several tarps with their logo on it. It's good to see a minstry using donations for the actual purpose.
  • Families living on the side of the road in a house of tarp and poles.
  • A once barren mountain area known as Caanan- now a tent city of half a million people. Yes, a half million.
  • Churches in the area being planted.
  • Voodoo services right next to my window. Makes for interesting noise to fall asleep to.
  • Seeing kids sing Jesus Loves Me and Father Abraham in Creole.
  • I have no desire to live here but definitley want to come back.
So excited to what God is going to do.

No comments: