Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hurricanes

Growing up in South La., we never had snow days. Instead we had hurricane days! You could usually bet that you would get at least one or two days off of school a year during hurricane season. Hurricane Andrew was the worst...no power for like a week! Ahh...bliss: being stuck inside with 90 degree temps, no tv, no nothing!

I was supposed to go vist my parents for Labor day, but Gustav changed my plans. So instead, I went to Dallas for the weekend...cheesecake factory, shopping, new shoes...fun stuff! I've been off of work yesterday and today because of the flash flooding. Luckily, i've not lost power. My parents on the other hand...not so lucky. They've been without power since Monday and it's not showing any signs of being back on any time soon. And my grandmother is staying with them because the nursing home lost power and was forced to evacuate. My mom's patience is wearing thin. My grandmother has Parkinsons and is on tons of medicine and doesn't handle change very well. So pray for them! It's been kind of nervewracking for me because I know they are safe but I can't go home and am not sure when I'll be able to get down there. At least the phone connections are better than Katrina.

The rain has been soothing at night to go to sleep, but certainly not when I nearly got stuck in my neighborhood yesterday. I was trying to be good and work out, but only got halfway out of my neighborhood before I decided to turn back. All this rain is making me in a funky mood! But at least the sun is out for now. More later!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe it's all over with now... i know 3 people that are getting a bad case of cabin fever, but at least i don't have to deal with it... for 2 days anyway...

Sara Fleming said...

hey girl, sorry i haven't talked to you in a while...things have been crazy...Paul is down south for the next 2 weeks or so with the Guard on hurricane duty...he was supposed to come home tonight, but apparently not :( as if him going to Iraq in 2 months isn't enough...anyways, i'm bored out of my mind, and i have cabin fever too, so maybe we can hang out soon? give me a call, miss you lots and i'm praying for your family!