Sunday, January 3, 2010

Choosing Joy

The holidays are over and I'm ready to get back into a routine! I didn't get a chance to blog over Christmas, but it was a great one. I got to be home for a week, which was so nice. I got to spend time with my family ,and catch up with my best friend from college and spend some time with my friend's little girl while her oldest was in the hospital. I got a Crockpot and electric blanket for Christmas- my two favorite gifts!

I've never been big into New Year's resolutions, simply for the fact that I have really good intentions, but can't seem to stick with it. I was talking with my friend Lyndsey about a theme for the New Year. I'm coming into my last year in my 20's. Yikes! I want this year to different, to be my best year ever, in all areas of my life. I really feel like that God is going to do big things in my life this year, as evidenced by a few things that have recently happened that only He could do. Closure came to an area of my life that I so desperately needed. It stung at first, but it was a breath of fresh air. He revealed to me that even though the past 2 years have been very difficult in a lot of different ways, He has used it to prepare the way for the future.

I'm choosing joy. No matter what happens. I've realized that I determine how I respond to things. (I know, I'm a social worker- I know this- but its different when its you!) I can be miserable and wallow or I can choose to lay it at the feet of Jesus and choose joy. It's a conscious decision. For example, this morning, the garage door was stuck and it was freezing outside. This meant that I had to get out of the car, close the door from the inside of the garage and go out the front door. It was so cold!! But I just took a deep breath and said, "I choose joy." I want this for all areas of my life. I want to have joy and live on purpose.

  • When I'm buried in paperwork at work, I choose joy because I have a job.
  • When a parent's choice impacts their child, I choose joy rather than be irritated because God is using me to help their child and them.
  • When I am frustrated at people's attitude towards me, I choose joy rather than give into frustration.
  • When I get lonely from cooking for one and eating by myself, I choose joy because there is a table and food to put on it.
  • When I go to bed at night wondering "How did I get here?", I choose joy because I know that God is with me: walking before me, behind me, on either side, hemming me in, covering me with His love and faithfulness.

I'm choosing joy because the "joy of the Lord is my strength."

3 comments:

Laura said...

Good for you! I think that's perfect!

Leigh said...

Thank you for the inspiration! This is my goal!! My whole outlook is going to be different!

lyndsey said...

i love it! Choosing joy:)