Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day. I'm not able to spend today with mine, but will get to see her this week as we head to the beach! This morning's sermon talked about the making of a mother and how motherhood should be a top priority. Pastor Bill talked about the things that a mother should instill in her children. It got me to thinking about the things that my mom has instilled in me.
  • A love for the Lord. Handsdown....
  • A love for family
  • A respect for tradition.
  • Faith- even when things are difficult.
  • Sense of humor.

I could go on and on...but these are just a few. Even though mom and I have our fair share of disagreements (and I still think she treats me like I'm 5!) we really do have a great relationship!

Then there are my spiritual moms. Linda has known me since birth. Her husband was my pastor until I was 20 years old. She has prayed for me through life, guys, school, and everything else that I faced. Her family has become a part of our family. She embodies the minister's wife. Even though I don't get to see her as often I would like to, we still talk and laugh together. Sheryl was my SS teacher at my church when i first moved. She became my 2nd mother! She's lead countless Bible studies and we have a regular lunch date when her husband is on call. She has spoken truth into my life when it wasnt exactly what I wanted to hear, but i needed it. She has encouraged me and loved on me.

Even though I'm not yet a mother in the physical sense, I am a spiritual mother. I have three special kiddos (who are growing up entirely way too fast! They're now almost 14, 10, and 6!) who play such a huge part of my life. I grew up in the same church with their mom and their dad was my youth minister my senior year of high school. When Deanna was born, she and I just bonded...it was so cute to see her hold out her arms for me to pick her up. I got to teach her SS class when she was two, she was and will be Nana's girl. Then Abram came along and stole my heart. Daniel tries to act tough but he loves his Nana too. I love these kids like they were my own. They are family. Abram asked me a while back, "Nana, are you family?" I said, "well, kind of." He replied, "Then how come you don't look like my mama??" I had to laugh...the whole family is blonde hair and blue eyed!

So on this day, I'm thankful!

No comments: