Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Crossed Paths

We are so connected in this world! It's amazing how many people that I've re-connected with and connected with via Facebook (I guess all this technology isn't so bad after all!) and blog world. Today, I had one of those re-connections. I got a message on Facebook from one of my childhood best friends, I'll call her D. It was a total shock and surprise. I haven't seen her or talked to her in probably 9 years. D and I played softball together when we were in middle school and part of high school. That's also how I met my BFF Jessica. During most of our middle school and high school years, we were the Three Muskateers. We were inseparable. We did everything together,softball, sleepovers, all of the usual girly stuff. D's family was very different from mine, and well, D was very different from me. It was crazy that we were even friends. I know that I tried to live my for Christ so that she would see Him in me, but I can't really remember if I ever talked to her about Jesus. If I did, she probably just rolled her eyes at me.

D's parents made some choices that affected her and then she made her own share of poor decisions. Our lives were totally different and we went down different paths. I kept up with her from time time through her sister, but that was sporadic. I knew that she was married and had a baby. So imagine my surprise when I heard from her. We messaged back and forth. I told her about my life now and she told me about hers. She said that she was happy, but she sounded utterly miserable. I got to thinking later: she is where I want to be. She's married and has a family. But I realize that those things are not going to bring me happiness and peace. Christ alone will. My heart broke for her. Of course she's miserable. She doesn't know the One who can bring her joy, fill her life and her heart. I don't think it's any coincidence that she just "happened" to email me. I pray that God will use me to witness to her. Even if it is with my life, because she may still roll her eyes at me. That' s okay. I'm going to love her anyway.

2 comments:

S. said...

People come across our paths for a reason... I truly believe that...as I blogged this morning, there are no accidents.
In addition our best tool for witnessing, our life... our actions speak louder than words can ever speak.
Believing that this is a divine appointment for you....
Be Blessed!
S.

Laura said...

You are right that only God can fully satisfy you. I was never one to think that I needed to be married or have a child to find satisfaction. On the contrary, I didn't want either of those things. I wanted a career. And one of the hardest lessons that I've ever experienced is God saying, "No" to me having a career and instead blessing me with a wonderful family. Having said all that, I've learned that I have to begin to learning, recognizing, and accepting the dreams that God has for me and the only way to do that is to find utter satisfaction in HIM.