Sunday, July 6, 2008

Weekend..unplugged

I had a wonderful weekend..unplugged from the internet and most of the time, my cell phone. I made great time on Thursday and got in before dark. Friday, we got together at my aunt and uncle's house and grilled out and just visited. We got my Maw Maw from the nursing home, and for the first time in a while, all the grandkids and great grands were there. We bought some fireworks for the little ones to shoot and it was so funny...somehow the bag of fireworks caught on fire! I think one of the little ones had a sparkler and the sparks touched the bag..all of sudden, I was like, "My feet are hot!" and then I looked down to see the bag on fire. Breland was standing where the grass caught on fire..he couldn't figure out what was going on!

Friday night, me and the folks went to Barnes and Nobles for coffee. I picked up a travel book for NYC (which hopefully, I'll be visiting next year!!) and the new Andy Davis CD. (no relation!) Andy's dad used to be my former pastor and his mom taught me in Sunday School. I'm not a big fan of pop music, but oh my goodness, the CD is incredible!!! check him out at
www.myspace.com/andydavismusic

Saturday, I went to my Maw Maw's to "clean." She moved into a nursing home last year and we're getting ready to rent out her house, so I went to see if there was anything that I wanted. I got some of her costume jewelry, two children's books, a plant stand, and my favorite...this little wooden chair that all of the grandkids used when we were little. I discovered something Saturday..I think I inherited some of my packrat tendecies from her! The woman has saved every card that was ever given to her (it was like 4 boxes!) and I found a chest that had dr bills from 1965!!! it had a four cent stamp on it, lab work was $3.00, dr visit was $17!!

I got to thinking as I was looking through her stuff...why do we hang on to things? Do we think we're going to use them again? That we may one day need them? Are we too afraid to let go? What happens when we stockpile...the pile just grows and grows and can be huge to tackle. I looked at this from a different angle....we often hold on to things in our life...jealousy, bitterness, pride, fear, the list continues. Eventually the piles grow and grow, they rot, they become difficult to get rid of. So just something to think about...what are you stockpiling?

1 comment:

Sara Fleming said...

i miss you...we need to get together...what are you doing Saturday night? Paul is going to be gone this weekend...want to get together? i've been praying for you...you're at the top of my prayer journal :) love ya girl, have a great week! <3