Saturday, July 19, 2008

Without Schedules

I have had a great weekend, especially since it started on Friday! I didn't really do anything special or anything that I had to do, which made it even better. I slept in, had coffee with a friend, went window shopping at some stores that I will never shop at and now know why I don't shop there! (250.00 for a dress...not for me!) Spent some time at hobby lobby, ate a delicious chocolate with peanut butter icing cupcake from Curlz's Cupcakes (if you haven't been there yet, you're missing out!) painted, not a whole lot of anything that I absolutley had to do. Then today, I slept really late (10:30!!) and then decided to have some friends over for dinner, ran to Walmart, cleaned, and made peach cobbler. Ahhh....it was so nice to just go at my own pace.

Tonight, I had my friends, Brooklyn and Foshe, over for dinner. They are getting ready to move to Nashville next week. I first met Foshe when he came to our life group last summer then met Brooklyn when they started dating. They got married in December and I had the honor of singing at their wedding. (What a day that was....due to major traffic issues, I got to the church right as the wedding was supposed to start!!) We just talked about life, their move, nothing in particular. As we sat there talking, I was kind of sad. Sad that this would probably be the last time that we were all living the same area, sad that I wouldn't get to see them at church anymore, but most of all, sad that we didn't get to know each other better. I mean, we're friends, and we hang out, but really get to know them.

Life gets in the way sometimes. We get busy. We put it off until later. Then later comes and it's too late. The moment has passed. Tonight, I brought some leftover cobbler to a friend who just moved into my apt.complex. I was thinking, "Why don't I do this more often for people?" I love doing things for others. It's just that sometimes, I get so precoccupied with me. I can barely keep up with my own schedule, barely make time to get the necessary things done. Doing for others kind of falls to the wayside.

I kind of liked living without a schedule for the past few days. It has birthed in me a desire to be more intentional, less rigid. It made me realize that life is so busy, that I need to slow down. I hope that you can experience one day without a schedule....it's a challenge!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i was in arkansas, i'd always get really antsy when our days off rolled around. i felt like i should be doing something... fixing something or painting or building. then we got to LA and were busy setting up the apt., and then we're like just waiting and waiting and waiting, and i was getting antsy again. but then after 4 days in FL and now back again and still waiting, antsy is giving way to kinda likin it, which is the extreme opposite of the other extreme of feeling guilty about not doing anything. so i hope i'm kind of balancing the extremes out now...

Brooklyn said...

I love reading your blogs!! Especially this one:)

p.s. Still tasting your peach cobbler in my sleep.