Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Beauty of Being Real

Ahh..the beauty of being real. I just experienced this and well it was refreshing. I went to the gym tonight for the first time in several weeks and ran into one of my closest friends here. Brandi and I work opposite schedules so being able to spend time together often requires a great deal of planning. So imagine my surprise when I saw her at the gym tonight. After our workout, we went to the park and got on the swings. I felt like a kid again, no care in the world. I had forgotten how much I loved to swing. We talked about where God has her right now and what all she has learned from a relationship that ended. Then we drove back to get my car and we just talked some more.

We talked about where God has us and our pasts. I spoke my mind to her about how I really felt about a particular situation. Then she said something to me that floored me. "You just seem perfect..like when everyone looks at you, you seem perfect." Yikes! I laughed and told her that I was far from it. I have inner scars that no one has else knows are there. I may look like I have it all together but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I have flaws, hangups. I'm impatient, I'm a clutterbug, I can be lazy at times, i'm not nearly as disciplined in my quiet time as I would like to be or need to be. I told her that I used to worry about having to be perfect or to appear perfect....that got to be so tiring and draining.

As we sat there talking, I realized that this type of honesty and being real is what I long for. It is so refreshing! God answered each of our prayers when He brought us into each other's lives...I love how we can be real with each other and not worry about hurting the other person's feelings, or afraid of how it may sound. We can be real with each other.....ahh, the beauty of being real.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Ashley - it's amazing the people that God brings into our lives at just the right time...at just the right moment. And it is in those special friendships that we can take off the masks of perfection and be who we really are...broken vessels used by God for His Honor and Glory. Loved the post!

Sara Fleming said...

you can always be real with me...please know that i'll never judge you and stop being your friend because of your flaws...and even though i'm married, i used to be where you are now, and i hope that i can encourage you in this time of waiting...i'm praying for you as always <3

S. said...

Hey! Loved this blog...
It seems instead of being real with people we feel more comfortable putting on our masks. It can get to the point that we can't even identify who we really are...and if we can't then how can others be expected to know the real us.

It's also a release and freedom to be able to be real with those around us....

Again, great post... S.

Laura said...

Ashley - didn't know if you knew or not, but there is a Sephora in the JCPenny's store on Youree Drive in Shreveport! Fun, fun!!