Sunday, June 22, 2008

Seizing the Moments

You know how when you hear a sermon, you feel like God is talking to only you in the room? That's how I felt today...first off, the worship was incredible! You could feel the presence of God in the room. It's like Pastor Bill always says, "If that didn't get your fire going, then your wood must be wet!" The sermon was talking about seizing the most of the opportunities that God gives us but that sometimes there are giants in our midst. Pretty much what I got out of it was that no matter what the circumstance is, no matter where He leads me, my focus has to be on Him. Satan wants to distract me by turning my attention to the giants, and then causing them to mulitply, then I get so disoriented that I just throw my hands up in frustration and give up.

I don't want to be afraid anymore. I don't want to be afraid to let go and say, "Okay. Here I am." I had a wonderful coffee time with my friend Sara the other night. We just talked, even though I felt like I was just rambling, about what God has been doing in our lives. You know, how you know that there is something going on, but you're not sure how to put it in words and then it feels like it's just jibberish when it comes out?

This morning, I felt renewed. I want to seize the moments that He gives to me....wherever He calls me to go, whatever He calls me to do. I felt hope, like this is going to be okay. I have no idea where this part of the journey will lead, but I don't have to know. I know that it will take effort on my part, but I know that God loves me too much to leave me this way. I want to be intentional in all that I do...life is too short. I found out today about a very dear friend whose cancer has returned....its really made me think...this person has the heart of a servant, is always putting others first, who has reached out to others and to me. So often I find myself complaining about my situation or feeling sorry for myself..but then I realize that it could be a lot worse. I want to live...not just merely exist, but live to make it count. I want to seize every moment that God gives me, especially the ones where He wants to change me.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Ashley! I loved Bill's sermon today, too. It's so easy to focus on those "giants" in our lives that we really miss out on the "honey." I've restled with this same scenario all my life, it seems. But there was one phrase he mentioned in the first service that stuck with me and that's about "falling forward." I just love that. And that would probably be the best way to describe how I have personally gotten to the "honey"...by falling forward. Sometimes God has to take me to a new place and I'm screamin' and kickin' all the way (Don't tell Alise I act that way!:) ) When I heard that and thought about how it applied to me, I thought, well, at least it's "progress"! It's not "backward." So it kinda gave me a little hope!

Have a good week!

CG + E3 said...

Yes! Thanks for this encouragement to turn our eyes to Jesus, away from the giants, and to make the most of opportunities he gives us to do and feel and be like Him.

I love the title of your blog - "beauty from ashes"... It comes from one of my favourite verses, and is a beautiful picture of Hope in Him. :)

I am glad to hear that you feel inspired to seize the moments He is giving you, and I hope that He will help you to do so!

- CG