Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Once again, on Father's Day, I'm not at home to celebrate with my dad. This is nothing unsual..I honestly don't think I've been home on Father's day since i was in high school. I was always gone to camp or summer missions, and now I'm away from home. But never fear, I always manage to get a card and a gift..and a phone call. I got my dad the cutest card that describes us so well..it had a little girl sitting on her father's lap and said something to the effect of "I'll always remember what you used to tell me.." and then you open it up and says in big letters, "GET OFF OF THE PHONE!" That is so true...daddy used to say that I had a case of telephone ear.

Pastor Bill talked today about the man model and how men need to be in regard to their families, children, etc. I reflected on my dad. I love him to pieces, even if he can aggravate the fire out of me. (but hey, aren't dads supposed to do that?" My dad was and still is (to my mom) the provider for our family. From the time that I was about five until his recent semi retirement, he worked two jobs. Granted, this meant I didn't see him as much as I would like, but he did this for his family. His goal was to get me through college debt free...that was achieved and even grad school. I always knew that he loved me, even if I didn't always hear him say it. (my dad is a man of few words.) But he has the biggest heart of anyone that I know. It is because of his example that I have the career that I have today..he has taught me to give. I can remember he and I collecting toys and other items throughout the year to take the battered women's shelter, taking food for the food drive, buying toys for the Salvation Army. I have seen him help out two of his coworkers who are single parents by buying Christmas for their kids and helping my roomate out financially for college after her mother died. All of this without fanfare or recognition. He is a hard worker...always doing the right thing. Most importantly, he loves the Lord. I recently got to see my dad baptized..talk about thrilling my heart and answering a silent prayer of mine for years. He had grown up in church and was baptized really young, but just wanted to be sure that he knew the Lord. So a few months ago, my quiet, 60 year old daddy was baptized. When i found out that this was going to take place, my heart just sang (and I said it aloud a few times too!) "My daddy knows Jesus!" Ahhh...words cannot describe how that felt.

My parents have been married for 36 years. They have made it a priority to tithe and have passed that on to me. My mom told me that when my dad lost his job when I was three, she came home to find him working on the finances, and saw that tithing was at the top of the list. My mom said that she wasn't sure how they were going to make it, but knew that they would give to the Lord first. My dad is a Vietnam veteran...talk about sacrifice. Enough said.

I hope that one day, wherever he maybe (in the Sahara desert with sand in eyes, trying to find his way back to me!) my husband is just half the man that my daddy is. Dad, I know that you're not reading this, but I love you....thanks for being my dad!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh, Ashley! How beautiful!

The card sounds SO CUTE!!